I am an Assistant Professor at The Department of Computing and Decision Sciences, Lingnan University. Previously, I was with the Department of Computing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University as a Research Assistant Professor from 2020 to 2022. I obtained B.E. in Software Engineering and Ph.D. in Computer Science from Jilin University in 2014 and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2019, respectively. I was also a visiting scholar at Media Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2017.
The theme of my research is Human Dynamics which refers to interdisciplinary research studying human behavior and providing actionable insights. Under the theme, I have several research interests including Context Sensing, IoT Systems, Mobile Computing, and Data Mining. I have published over 25 papers in top-tier journals and conferences like TMC, TKDE, TOIS, IoT-J, INFOCOM, WWW, ICDM, and ICDCS (including 7 CCF-A, 4 CCF-B, and 12 JCR-Q1). I have also won Best Paper twice including one from INFOCOM 2020.
- 2022.09: Recruiting Ph.D. students with high research potential under Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS). Feel free to drop me an email if you are interested.
- 2022.09: I joined The Department of Computing and Decision Sciences, Lingnan University as an Assistant Professor. 🎉🎉
Data-Driven Analytics of Human Dynamics
Below shows a pyramid of Human Dynamics research. It covers both my previous research effort and future directions.
Unknown and dark levels to be explored and lighted by you and me...
Economic level studies high-level human behaviors (e.g., decision-making, human bias) and profound social issues in significant sections like health, education, safety.
Social level refers to interplay between individuals including social tie, social influence, and social recommendation. Although social level is also difficult to capture and quantify, it is still feasible by combining physical and psychological cues.
*:corresponding author(s) or first author(s)
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2020, Best Paper Award of IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM).
- 2016, Best Paper Award of IEEE International Conferences on Ubiquitous Intelligence & Computing, Advanced and Trusted Computing, Scalable Computing and Communications, Cloud and Big Data Computing, Internet of People, and Smart World Congress.
- 2013, National Scholarship of China
- 2017 - 2018, visiting Ph.D., Media Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US
- 2014 - 2019, Ph.D., Computer Science, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- 2010 - 2014, B.E., Software Engineering, Jilin University, China
- 2022.04: Technique sharing: Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) and Its Applications [Slides]
- 2021.12: Brief sharing: How to write high quality papers [Slides]
- 2020.12: Data-Driven Analytics of Human Dynamics] [Slides]
- 2018.12: ICDM: “GINA: Group Gender Identification Using Privacy-Sensitive Audio Data” [Slides]
- 2022, BUS1102 Statistics for Business (Undergraduate)
- 2022, CDS4004 Web Technologies and Social Networks (Undergraduate)
- 2021, COMP4442 Service and Cloud Computing (Undergraduate)
- 2021, COMP4911 Capstone Project (Undergraduate)
- 2020, COMP1011 Programming Fundamentals (Undergraduate)
- IEEE MASS 2022
- IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
- ACM Computing Surveys
- INFORMS Journal on Computing
- ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology
- ACM Transactions on Cyber-Physical Systems
- IEEE Transactions on Big Data
- IEEE ICDCS
- IEEE Percom
- ACM MOBIQUITOUS